Quinnipiac field hockey shuts out Vermont

The Quinnipiac field hockey team came away with a victory in a non-conference match-up Saturday, when the Bobcats blanked Vermont by a final score of 4-0. The win improved the Bobcats record to 3-4 as four individual scorers were able to put the ball in the back of the net.

Senior captain Jennalise Taylor helped lead her team to victory by scoring an early goal off a rebound five minutes into the first half. She also provided an assist later in the half when she passed the ball to junior forward Danielle Allan off a corner. Allan was able to play the ball from the top of the circle and zip it off the opposite post and in.

It was important for Quinnipiac head coach Becca Main and her team to get the early lead in the match because Quinnipiac has been involved in so many close games thus far.

“I think today when you get a lead you have the opportunity to see confidence and then you see passing and you see the support from each other. So we saw a lot of passing today, which is what we wanted to do,” Main said, who was very satisfied from her players today. “I think it gives us the opportunity to rest some of the players.”

Intensity was the motive for the team on Saturday as Main was able to rotate players in and out of the game to make sure her starters were well rested. Strong performances from players that came off the bench included Meghan McCullough, Christa Romano, and Savanna Reilly. Both McCullough and Romano were able to score their first goals of the season with Reilly assisting McCullough’s goal with a pass from the left side of the field to the opposite post.

“I think we played a really great game today and all week,” Danielle Allan said, who scored her third goal of the year, all which have come in her last two games. “We had a game Tuesday so coming into today, coming off a win, we knew that we had to keep up the intensity, keep up the pace of the game. This is a big weekend for us and we want to come out with two wins and we’re halfway there.”

The win also marked junior goalkeeper Megan Conaboy’s first career shutout as she recorded her third win of the season in goal. Although Conaboy didn’t receive a lot of action, she was able to make three saves. Credit also has to go to the Bobcat defenders, as they helped make sure the ball wasn’t in the striking circle too often.

The Bobcats next game is on Sunday at 2 p.m., when they will look to take on Saint Joseph’s at the QU Field Hockey Turf Complex.