Cornell fires away, blazes past women’s ice hockey

While Kelly Babstock cooled off, Cornell heated up.

A weekend after scoring six goals, the Quinnipiac freshman was held pointless again as she watched second-ranked Cornell start a scoring inferno in the first period. The Big Red scored four goals in the period to set the pace for its 4-0 win over the Bobcats.

Cornell’s Amber Overguard and Chelsea Karpenko each scored within 70 seconds of each other 4:30 in the game to give the Big Red an early 2-0 advantage.

The conference-leading team doubled its lead later in the first period, scoring twice more within the final three minutes of the frame. Jessica Campbell broke away from defenders after receiving a feed from Rebecca Johnston and shot the puck past Quinnipiac goalie Victoria Vigilanti 17:52 in the period.

Hayley Hughes scored a power-play goal 64 seconds later to end the scoring for the Big Red.

Vigilanti and the Bobcats shut down the Big Red for the rest of the game, stopping 24 shots in the final two frames. Quinnipiac’s sophomore goalie stopped 33 of 37 shots overall, but the Bobcat offense was shut down by Cornell goalie Amanda Mazzotta.

Mazzotta recorded 18 saves to earn the shutout and stopped 41 of 42 shots taken by the Bobcats this season. Her goals against average of 1.11 per game is the best in the nation.

Though Babstock was held in check, she still remains the conference leader in goals (13), assists (14), and points (27). She also  leads the nation in points over Ohio State’s Laura McIntosh by one point and ranks in the top five for goals and assists.

Teammates Kate Wheeler (13) and Erica Uden Johansson (12) have the second and third highest point totals in the conference, respectively.

Quinnipiac (9-6-1, 4-5-0 ECAC) will try and rebound Friday when the Bobcats take on Sacred Heart, while Cornell (8-1-0, 6-0-0 ECAC) looks to maintain its conference lead Friday against Niagara.