Women’s basketball tops Hampton 87-59

Womens basketball tops Hampton 87-59

The Quinnipiac women’s basketball team improved to 2-0 on the season, defeating the Hampton Lady Pirates 87-59 on Tuesday evening at the TD Bank Sports Center.

The Bobcats dominated the first 12 minutes of play, outscoring Hampton 28-5.

“Today was even more of a dominant performance possession by possession than in [our first win],” Fabbri said. “From the start of the game, we set the tone defensively and did what we wanted to do on offense. We built a lead and confidence. We went wire to wire and took care of business. It was a really good outing for our team.”

Newcomer Val Driscoll said the team’s game plan was pivotal in the opening minutes.

“We took care of the ball. We were aggressive on defense,” Driscoll said. “We kept the pace up-tempo and took the shots we were looking for.”

Quinnipiac held the Lady Pirates to 24 percent, and contained Hampton’s well-respected guard Malia Tate-DeFreitas to 6-for-27 from the field.

Coach Fabbri continued her “gold rush” substitution strategy, subbing in five players at a time.

“It’s definitely something to get used to,” Val Driscoll said. “I think it gives everyone an equal chance to play. It gives the starters a break and allows for diverse scoring for everyone.”

Diverse scoring was displayed on the scoreboard for Quinnipiac, as Driscoll, Nikoline Ostergaard, Samantha Guastella, Jasmine Martin and Jennifer Fay each scored in double figures. Overall, the Bobcats shot 42 percent from the field.

Fabbri thinks the “gold rush” strategy will be a mainstay for the remainder of the season based on the depth of her squad.

“We have such a good blend,” Fabbri said. That’s part of being really great. Having that balance. No one person has to bring her “A” game. Everyone has to bring her “A” game.”

Despite starting the season with two wins in as many games, Fabbri believes this team can improve on all ends.

“Every aspect of our game can get better,” Fabbri said. “There’s no doubt our offense can get better. We can look better on transition. We can make better decisions. Our girls understand that.”
Hampton outrebounded the Bobcats 53-52 despite the size advantage.

Up next, Quinnipiac will head to South Bend for three games against Harvard, Holy Cross, and Notre Dame.

“This is a hungry group that won’t be satisfied with these two wins,” Fabbri said. They realize there’s a bigger picture out there.”