Men’s basketball wins big in Brooklyn

The Quinnipiac men’s basketball team travelled to Brooklyn last night to battle for a higher seeding in the Northeast Conference tournament against St. Francis (N.Y.), and topped the Terriers 78-67. Junior forward, Ike Azotam led all scorers with 19 points while Dave Johnson dished out eight assists.

Midway through the first half of play, the Bobcat’s found themselves facing an 11-point deficit. But, at the 7:36 mark sophomore Zaid Hearst banged back-to-back threes, which sparked a 23-11 Bobcat run. Quinnipiac had a one-point lead heading into the locker room up, 36-35.

After the break, Quinnipiac slowly pulled away from the Terriers. The most impressive stat of the night was the free throw shooting for Quinnipiac. The team went a combined 25-29 from the charity stripe, an impressive 86 percent. Johnson went a perfect 10-10 from the line himself.

Quinnipiac’s defense had an impressive showing holding St. Francis shooters to a mediocre 38.1 percent from the field.

Ben Mockford and Akeem Johnson each put up 13 points for St. Francis in the loss.

The Bobcats can finish anywhere from second to sixth in the NEC depending on the outcomes of the remaining games. They take on the Blackbirds of LIU-Brooklyn Saturday at 4:30 p.m.