Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey blows 3-0 lead

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team squandered away a 3-0 lead in its home-opener Friday and fell to Maine, 4-3.

Brittany Lyons had two points in the game and put the Bobcats (1-2) up 3-0 just 41 seconds into the second period. However, Maine (3-0) stormed back with four unanswered goals to take the victory.

“We just stopped working,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said.

At 12:54 in the second period Maine began to gradually climb back into the game. Kayla Kaluzny got things rolling for the Black Bears with a goal to put them on the board. She was followed by Danielle Ward, who narrowed the Bobcat lead to 3-2 at 6:53 in the period.

Maine took the momentum from the second and answered immediately in the third, tying the game up just 30 seconds into the period on Kaluzny’s second goal of the game.

Just 1:47 after the game-tying goal, the Black Bears took the lead on a goal from Missy Denk, whose shot slowly crossed the line for the go-ahead goal.

The Bobcats kept pressure on Black Bear goalie Brittany Ott throughout the game, garnering 10 shots on goal in the final period, but the offense was unable to find the back of the net in the final 39 minutes of the game.

Bethany Dymarcyzck immediately put the Bobcats on the board 18 seconds into the game. An early penalty was called on the Black Bears and after the Bobcats won the face-off, Nicole Kosta passed to Demarcyzck who fired a shot past Ott’s right side for a quick 1-0 lead.

With 11 seconds remaining in the period, Chelsea Ilchuk scored her first goal of the season, giving the Bobcats a 2-0 lead.

Seeley expects to see a much sharper team Saturday when they replay Maine at 1 p.m.

“Work ethic, our battling, our commitment to detail, commitment to defense, there’s lots of room for improvement,” Seeley said.