Spirit Week kicks off with involvement fair

Spirit Week kicked off in a different way this year, as student organization tables lined the path from the Café Q to Bobcat Way on Monday.

After the involvement fair originally scheduled for Feb. 2 was canceled due to inclement weather, Student Programming Board’s Major Weeks Chair Alysse Zaffos decided to combine the two events.

“It was more of a way to get an involvement fair since we didn’t have one this year,” Zaffos said. “I felt like a lot of people missed out from joining other organizations by not having the involvement fair because of the snow day, so I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to see what is out there for them to get involved in.”

Originally 19 organizations were signed up, including SPB and Student Government Association, but some dropped out at the last minute, leaving 11 organizations including Panhellenic Council, Accounting Society, Young Americans for Liberty, and Anime Club.

Zaffos worked with SGA Programming Committee’s Outdoor Chair Melissa Harper to organize the event.

“I think it’s a great way for new organizations to get their names out there and promote themselves,” Harper said.

One of those organizations was the QU Spirit Group, which formed during the fall semester.

Chair Nick Sczerbinski felt that the involvement fair was a good way to get their name out there and publicize the organization’s initiatives.

The group, which promotes “any athletics at the school, and school spirit in general, to get more excitement at the games,” has been given the opportunity to pen Quinnipiac’s fight song.

“No one has ever done it, so it’s basically our chance to put ourselves on the map,” Sczerbinski said.

A well-established student organization on campus, Panhellenic Council manned a table to recruit members and inform people about Greek life.

“I think it gets the students to see a little bit about who we are and how energetic we are about our organizations,” Executive Vice President Ivy Laplante said.

“I just really want to get everyone’s name out there, and that there’s a lot to get involved in,” Zaffos said. “I want them to realize spirit week is something that’s going to be around for awhile, start a tradition, have it come every year leading up to the big concert.”

Photo credit: Amanda Shulman