Lahey announces medical school dean

President John Lahey today announced Dr. Bruce Koeppen’s appointment as the founding dean of Quinnipiac University’s School of Medicine.

“After an extensive national search with the assistance of the firm DJW Consultants, Dr. Koeppen emerged as the ideal individual to take on the enormous task of launching Quinnipiac’s new School of Medicine,” Lahey said. “As the school’s founding dean, he will spearhead the direction of the new school, working closely with Quinnipiac’s academic leaders in shaping the educational framework of the school, including finalizing clinical affiliation partnerships, the development of the curriculum, recruitment of faculty and an administrative team, and securing accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the accrediting body for medical schools.”

Koeppen comes to Quinnipiac after 18 years as the dean of academic affairs and education at the University of Connecticut’s School of Medicine.

“Success in creating a new medical school rests only in part with the founding Dean,” – Dr. Bruce Koeppen

Quinnipiac’s School of Medicine, which will be located on the North Haven campus, is expected to welcome its first class in 2013, but could open as late as 2014. Koeppen will assume his position and responsibilities at Quinnipiac on Nov. 1 of this year.

“Dr. Koeppen has intimate knowledge of the requirements and processes involved in starting a new medical school,” Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs Mark Thompson said.

Thompson was one of nine members on the search committee for the School of Medicine’s new dean. Six members of the committee were from the School of Health Sciences and two were from the University’s administration.

“Leading the development of Quinnipiac University’s new medical school, especially in a rich environment of other nationally recognized health professions programs, will be a phenomenally stimulating, challenging, and rewarding opportunity,” Koeppen said. “Success in creating a new medical school rests only in part with the founding dean. Importantly, there must also be a strong institutional commitment and support such as that found at Quinnipiac.

“The University is in a unique position to not only create a new medical school, but to create an institutional environment that will be viewed at a regional and national level as a primary care educational magnet for a broad spectrum of health professions.”