Theta deals denim for sisters in need

As the fall shopping season arrives, the sisters of Kappa Alpha Theta are helping the Quinnipiac community get an early start. On Tuesday, Sept. 14, they held the third annual Charity Denim event in the Mount Carmel Recreation Center, selling mainly women’s designer jeans along with various T-shirts, all at a discount with the help of Charity Denim.

Charity Denim is a vendor which sells jeans to organizations at a discount price for charity events. The jeans ranged from $50 to $85, with $8 from every pair of jeans going to the Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation. Jeans were sold in all colors from orthodox blue, to black and white, ranging from sizes 24-33. The event also sported fitting rooms in which women could take the pants for a test run.

“We love the organization because it is a great and fun way to raise money for Theta women in need throughout the country,” Vice President of Public Relations Ally Giorgio said.

The Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation gives money to Theta sisters young and old throughout the country who are in emotional or financial need.

“The women of Kappa Alpha Theta are passionate and motivated individuals who are dedicated to helping others,” Service Chair Megan Mourao said. “This event is particularly special to us because it promotes ‘Thetas helping Thetas.’”

Shoppers were impressed by the quality and quantity of the selection. Freshman Mary Corrado, who wears jeans often, was enthralled by the plentiful options available.

“Seeing as I love shopping, this event is exciting not only because beautiful jeans are available at a great markdown and in great variety, but because this time my shopping is helping women in need across the country,” Corrado said.

Brands included were J-Brand, True Religion, Joe’s Jeans, and Paper & Denim, among others.

The Charity Denim event raised about $700 for the Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation, according to Giorgio.

Photo credit: Charlotte Greene