‘Cats scratch out 3-1 win

J. McGourty

The Bobcats defeated intrastate rival Central Connecticut State University 3-1 on Sunday. Forward Durval Pereira scored the first goal for Quinnipiac, and fellow forward Graciano Brito scored two goals, including the game-winner. Pereira assisted both of Brito’s goals and midfielder Dominic Adams also added two assists for the Bobcats.
The win moves them to 8-4-2 overall and 3-2 in the Northeast Conference. The Blue Devils drop to 6-6-2 (0-4-1) with the loss.

Pereira scored on a cleanup goal, his fifth of the season, just 7:26 into the game. Brito and Adams assisted the goal. The Blue Devils tied it up in the waning minutes of the first half on a penalty kick by Yan Klukowski, his eighth goal of the year.

Despite the momentum swing after the CCSU goal, Brito took the game into his own hands in the second half. He put the Bobcats on top for good, cutting through the middle of the field and then placing a bender in the upper-right corner of the net.
Brito’s move on the defender was nearly identical to his goal in their previous game against Sacred Heart. Brito added an insurance goal in the 79th minute on a booming kick in the lower-left corner.

The Bobcats are now tied for fifth with Long Island in the NEC with just four regular season games remaining in conference play.

Their biggest game of the season is still to come. On Friday, Nov. 7, the Bobcats will host the Monmouth Hawks, who are currently in fourth place-one point ahead of the Bobcats. The winner of that game may potentially seal the deal and clinch the fourth and final playoff spot.