Women’s soccer falls in NEC opener

The Quinnipiac women’s soccer team lost in its first Northeast Conference game of the season Friday to the Sacred Heart Pioneers in a low-shooting 2-1 contest.

Sacred Heart (5-2-2) senior Samantha Kee wasted no time, scoring a header into the left corner 49 seconds into the first half.  Sophomore Alyssa Brandofino was credited with the assist.  Kee struck again five minutes into the second half, grabbing her third goal of the season.

The Bobcats (1-5-1) remained quiet until late in the second half when sophomore Beck Kiting scored their first and only goal off an offering from junior Kemesha Woodfine.  Kiting’s goal was her second of the season, but it was not enough for the Bobcats.

“It was a disappointing loss, and there are many reasons for the result,” Quinnipiac head coach Dave Clarke said.

Both teams failed to reach double digits in shots, Sacred Heart outshot Quinnipiac 8-5.  Both goalies, senior Jill Kelley for Quinnipiac and junior Sydney Judkins for Sacred Heart, finished with two saves.

The Bobcats will take on another NEC team on Friday when they face Fairleigh Dickinson in Teaneck, New Jersey.

“We just have to accept the score line and move on,” Clarke said. “We’ll try to learn from the game and rectify things against Fairleigh Dickinson.”