Irene forces postponements

The Quinnipiac soccer field was flooded yesterday after Hurricane Irene came through Hamden. Charlotte Greene/Chronicle
unknown

As Hurricane Irene made its way up the East Coast and through Connecticut, Quinnipiac athletics officials decided to postpone some of its games over the weekend.

However, as of 10 a.m. Monday morning, the men’s soccer team is expected to play its scheduled season-opener against Providence at 4 p.m.

This weekend the field hockey team was set to face Lehigh in its second game of the season on Sunday but rescheduled the game to Saturday at 3:30 p.m. But Quinnipiac and Lehigh both decided it was in the best interest not to play this weekend. It will be made up Sept. 14 at 3 p.m.

Quinnipiac’s women’s soccer game vs. Army, originally scheduled for Sunday afternoon, was also canceled and will not be made up.

With rain beginning Saturday and wind gusts reaching up to 75 miles per hour, safety became the number one concern regarding the student-athletes.

“Our Senior Associate Athletic Director Billy Mecca has always done an excellent job at doing the right thing when he makes the decision on postponing and canceling games due to weather and other circumstances,” Director of Athletics and Recreation Jack McDonald said. “Billy made the right decision not only for Quinnipiac’s student-athletes and coaches, but also for our opponents, parents, fans, officials as well as transportation companies.”