Men’s lacrosse first NEC win a classic

The first-ever NEC game for the Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse team was a memorable one as the Bobcats defeated Bryant 13-12 on a last-second goal.

Following a timeout with the game tied and 13 seconds remaining, sophomore Brendan Wilbur ripped the game-winning shot in front of the goal from 15 yards out. The goal was Wilbur’s second of the game.

“It was great to win the first NEC game in league history,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Fekete said. “We buckled down at halftime and focused on the adjustments we needed to make and the guys played a great second half.”

Basil Kostaras, Kevin Kelly, and Jake Emms each had two goals for the Bobcats (3-4, 1-0 NEC), who also received a goal and three assists from Christian Haggerty.

The Bulldogs (3-6, 0-1 NEC) started the game strong, going up 2-0 in the first four minutes of play, eventually taking an 8-4 lead into halftime. Both teams started the second half with goals to bring the score to 9-5, the Bobcats scored four consecutive times to tie the game with just over 12 minutes to play. The Bobcats took a 12-10 advantage with 1:39 to play, but surrendered two goals to the Bulldogs who tied the game with 1:04 remaining. The Bobcats brought the ball up the field, called a timeout, ran one final play in regulation, and Wilbur took advantage.

Kevin Benzing had eight saves for the Bobcats. His counterpart Jameson Love also recorded eight saves.

Max Weisenberg led the Bulldogs offensively with four goals and an assist. Defensemen Mason Poli also had two goals for the Bulldogs.

The Bobcats are next in action this Saturday when they host Robert Morris. The game is scheduled for 1 p.m.