Penalty kicks do in women’s soccer in NEC semis

After 10 scoreless minutes of overtime, seven penalty kicks were the deciding factor of the Quinnipiac women’s soccer team’s Northeast Conference semifinal game against St. Francis (Pa.) in Teaneck, N.J. With Jillian Kelley in net for the Bobcats and Lauren Fearer defending for the Red Flash, each team lined up three players.

Junior forward Furtuna Velaj took her penalty kick first and put the ball past Fearer. The Red Flash evened it up when Haleigh Dunyon scored on Kelley.

Bobcat midfielder Shauna Edwards missed the next shot, leaving an opening for St. Francis’ Brianna Tata to take the lead.

Quinnipiac’s next two shooters, Beck Kiting and Meagan McLoughlin, missed their shots, while St. Francis’ Alecia McNiff made their last penalty kick as the Red Flash won three penalty kicks to one, ending the Bobcats’ season.

The Bobcats and Red Flash played through a scoreless 45 minutes to start off the game. The first goal came at 47:59 of the match, only 2:59 into the second half. St. Francis took a corner kick, leaving the ball loose in front of the net. Ba Maros de Carvalho picked up the ball and took the shot, which deflected into the goal off the post.

Less than seven minutes later, the Bobcats evened up the score when McLoughlin received the ball from Kristina Del Mistro and sent it into the net.

Del Mistro picked up her second point of the game when she scored the Bobcats’ second and final goal in regulation time. Lauren Peacock passed to Del Mistro who shot the ball past the near post past Fearer.

With a little more than 15 minutes left, the Red Flash tied up the game when Chelsea Traurig rocketed the ball in after a pass in front of the net.

The clock hit the 90-minute mark with no more goals scored. After an overtime and a round of penalty kicks, the Red Flash came out victorious, moving onto Sunday’s game and sending the Bobcats home for their second consecutive NEC semifinal loss.