ADPi wins Times Square exposure with video

Alpha Delta Pi went “all in” last week in support of research and treatment for women’s cancers. The sorority created a 15-second video for the City of Hope’s “All In” campaign, winning a feature on a billboard in Times Square.

Recognized by the City of Hope as a premier women’s organization, ADPi was the only sorority asked to participate in the week-long campaign, which ran from Sept. 23 to Oct. 1. “All In Week” focused on women having access to medical information to help them make decisions on pursuing different cancer treatments.

“Going ‘all in’ is about the different techniques and opportunities that women can take advantage of to help fight or prevent cancer,” ADPi President Mary Simeoli said.

ADPi’s video, which can be found at cityofhope.org, gathered more than 1,900 Facebook “likes.” But this number seems minuscule compared to the 1.5 million people who will view it in New York City’s Times Square. The video is set to run twice an hour, every hour from Oct. 11-15.

The sorority’s national philanthropy is the Ronald McDonald House Charities, which provides housing for families with children undergoing treatment for various illnesses.

“It was a nice complement to our philanthropy because we work so closely with families and children who are affected by cancer,” Simeoli said. “It was a different opportunity to work in the same field but with a different group.”

The women of ADPi had a particularly close experience with cancer last year when alumna Sarah Phenix took a leave of absence to undergo cancer treatment.

“Everybody is touched by cancer in one way or another,” Simeoli said. “But to be on campus and have a sister, someone so young that’s not just going through it but has been through it in the past; she’s just an incredible person.”

ADPi plans on having the City of Hope as one of its affiliates next year to continue its involvement in cancer research.

Photo credit: Youtube.com