Bobcats split doublheader with Long Island

The Quinnipiac University baseball team split the doubleheader against Long Island University on Saturday behind a complete game shutout from junior Kyle Birdsall.

Birdsall only surrendered four hits while striking out five in the 5-0 game to win, improving the Bobcats NEC record to 5-6.

“Fastball, curveball, change, all my pitches were working well,” Birdsall said. “I’m more confident every start and just more confident with every pitch that I can throw them in any count.

Birdsall was very effective following both innings where the Bobcats scored, coming out each time to retire the Blackbirds 1-2-3.

Junior shortstop Mickey Amanti and senior center fielder Brian Monack both had three hits and drove in two runs in the win. Amanti is 9-for-11 thus far in the series with six RBIs and was the only Bobcat to have multiple hits in the first game.

Monack first put the Bobcats on the board in the third inning when he singled to right-center field, scoring both Ben Farina and Thomas Donovan. Monack scored later in the inning on a fielder’s choice.

Amanti extended the lead to five runs the following inning with a double down the left field line scoring Mike Bartlett and Donovan for a second time. The Bobcats tallied 14 hits in the game, 12 coming off Long Island starter Justin Ropa.

“We knew that he would try to get ahead with his fastball, so we just zoned in on getting the first good pitch that we could see and have quality at bats,” Monack said.

The Bobcats were just as washy as the weather in game one as they fell to Long Island 9-0. Poor defense plagued the Bobcats in the game as they gave up five unearned runs. All were charged to starting pitcher Anthony Cinelli who was chased from the game in the third inning.