Kelley, Gilmore lead Brew Crew to IM Football Championship

Two touchdown passes backed with tight defense led the Brew Crew to a Division 1 Intramural Championship against Team Scranus on Sunday morning on the turf field.

The 14-0 win was led by senior quarterback Jim Kelley who went 15 for 24 with two touchdowns and 114 yards passing on the day. Both touchdown passes found fellow senior Ryan Gilmore.

“After three years of losing it feels great,” Gilmore said. “It was four years coming.”

Kelley, who played both sides of the ball, did more than just throw two touchdowns. Closing in on the end of the first half it appeared that both teams would go into the half in a scoreless tie. Kelley had different plans. An interception of a tipped ball would spark a quick five-play drive that ended with the Brew Crew in the end zone.

Kelley found Gilmore with an 11-yard touchdown pass with only 20 seconds left in the half. The point after the touchdown was good for one point giving the Brew Crew a 7-0 lead at halftime.

The Brew Crew was able to rally around its defense by holding Scranus’ quarterback Jeff Beal to only 42 yards passing in the game. The defense also had three sacks and an interception in the shutout.

Team Scranus started the second half with the ball and looked to be driving towards the end zone. Beal led his team down the field with plays on the ground and through the air. Just as the drive looked to be headed for a touchdown an illegal contact call pushed Scranus back 10 yards on first down. Scranus was forced to go for a fourth and five chance, but they were unable to convert and Brew Crew’s defense held strong.

The Brew Crew responded on the following drive by once again rallying behind Kelley. The 13-play drive ate up most of the second half. Kelley, who was 9 for 11 with 72 yards passing on the drive, capped it off with his second touchdown pass of the day. The seven-yard pass found Gilmore once again for his second touchdown. The Brew Crew opted to go for one in the point after the touchdown and once again completed it to seal the game.

“It’s all about heart and hustle. Those with a little spilled blood and you’re going to win a championship,” said senior Rob Macchi, showing off some of his turf burns from a hard-fought game.

It was a proud moment for the Brew Crew as they were able to don the shirts declaring their supremacy as Division 1 Intramural Champions.