Women’s volleyball falls at QU Invitational

The women’s volleyball team lost 3-0 to Chicago State and St. Peter’s during the Quinnipiac Invitational last weekend. With the two losses, the team dropped to 1-20 for on the season.

In Saturday’s match, Chicago State took care of the Bobcats in straight sets winning 32-30, 30-20, and 30-19.

Junior Jenna Benigno and senior Stephanie Logan led the team with eight kills each. Junior Michele Vasapoli led all with 11 digs, and junior Erin Overdevest added eight. Overdevest insists that the girls are better than what they have been showing of late.

“It’s just a tough loss because we know that we can play a lot better than we have,” Overdevest said.

Head Coach Robin Lamont Sparks felt as if the problems for the girls have been mental ones.

“We weren’t mentally tough enough when we need to be,” Sparks said. “It’s something I’ve got to get figured out.”

Overdevest thinks that the girls need to get into more game-like situations in practice to improve their mental toughness.

“In practice we are a totally different team,” Overdevest said. “We need to get into more pressure situations in practice.”

After the loss on Saturday night, the Bobcats looked to bounce back against St. Peter’s on Sunday afternoon. Once again, the Bobcats dropped a nail-biting opening set, 32-30.

The Peacocks would go on to win the next two sets, 30-20 and 30-24.

Logan, Vasapoli, and junior Crista Valentino each had eight kills for the Bobcats in the loss. Beningo added 18 assists.

The loss to the Peacocks marked the last non-conference match for the season.

On Wednesday, the Bobcats will return to action as they will open their NEC play with a trip to play Iona in New Rochelle, N.Y.