Bobcats bounce back in victory over Mount

On the last day of Dedication Week, the men’s basketball team found a way to end the week on a positive note.

After a very slow start, the Bobcats defeated Mount St. Mary’s, 70-62. With the win, the ‘Cats move to 10-11 overall (8-4 NEC) and claim sole possession of third place in the conference.

It was a good comeback effort for the Bobcats, who found themselves down 25-9 with 7:25 remaining in the first half. Off a pair of turnovers by the Mountaineers and an alley-oop dunk by DeMario Anderson, the Bobcats were finally able to get back into the game.

Down 31-19 with 3:43 left in the first half, the ‘Cats went on a 12-0 run to tie the game at 31 at halftime. The Bobcats then looked to find a way to have a better second half.

“Coach challenged us,” senior center Victor Akinyanju said. “We were missing assignments.”

The Bobcats started the second half on a 10-0 run which was geared by a pair of 3-pointers by guard Adam Gonzalez and a 3-point play by Akinyanju. Quinnipiac would watch its lead slip after a pair of threes from Mount guard Chris Vann. The Mountaineers would then cut the lead to 54-50 with 7:37 remaining in the second half. But the Bobcats were able to hold off the attack and come away with the victory.

“We all believe in each other,” said Ankinyaju, who finished the game with a season high 20 points and a career-high 21 rebounds.

“They showed a lot of character,” head coach Joe DeSantis said of his team. “These guys were able to step up and make plays.”

The Bobcats were also helped by Adam Gonzalez, who finished with 18 points. Casey Cosgrove chipped in with 10 points. Chris Vann led Mount with 18 points.