Chronicle Athletes of the Week: Randy Gress and Jackie Herb

Randy Gress
Sport: Baseball
Class: Junior
Hometown: Shelton, Conn.

Gress, a three-sport phenom who also excelled as a hockey and football player at nearby Notre Dame-Fairfield High, put his name on the national map this past week. The junior second baseman was named to the College Baseball Foundation National Honor Roll, as it was announced by the College Baseball Foundation April 19.

This was following a week in which Gress hit a robust .478, belting 11 hits and scoring seven runs. Gress also had 10 RBIs and recorded four home runs for the reigning NEC champions.

After proving that he had power several times last season, Gress has gone yard a team-high seven times thus far. He’s stepped into a bigger role for a Bobcat team which stands at 12-17-1 after opening the season up with a rocky southern swing that included losses to some of the country’s elite.

Gress currently sits amongst the top sluggers in the NEC as he’s a statistical leader in multiple categories. He’s third in slugging percentage at .563 and fourth in RBIs with 23.

He’s one of many potent hitters in a perilous lineup that’s capable of doing damage into early June this year.

Jackie Herb
Sport: Tennis
Class: Freshman
Hometown: Cherry Hill, N.J.

Herb, the reigning New Jersey State Player of the Year who helped guide Cherry Hill East High to four straight Group 4 titles, has had no trouble adjusting to the Division I level.

The standout rookie earned Prince/NEC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week accolades on April 19 after a hot streak of 11 consecutive wins in singles action to cap off the regular season. She won the final Player of the Week award of the Bobcats’ 2006 campaign, with the NEC championships being held last weekend.

Herb has captured thirteen singles wins in the past fourteen matches. The freshman recorded a 3-1 individual mark at the conclusion of last week.

Herb’s two victories in third singles play catapults her overall record to 14-7.

Herb shined during the Bobcats’ 7-0 trouncing of in-state rival Sacred Heart. She captured a 6-0, 6-4 victory over the Pioneers’ Laura Murillo in third singles’ action. She additionally registered a 6-3, 6-1 victory against SUNY-Stony Brook’s Erica Federgreen.