Gamma Phi Beta takes on Quinnipiac

Love, Labor, Learning and Loyalty. These are the values of a Gamma Phi Beta woman according to Quinnipiac’s Sorority Life website.

Gamma Phi Beta’s website explains that each sister of Gamma Phi Beta has taken an oath to uphold the highest standards of womanhood. Living to these four core values demonstrates to the outside world what it means to be a woman of Gamma Phi Beta.

This sorority was founded in 1874 at Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York according to Quinnipiac’s Sorority life website. This fall semester Gamma Phi Beta made it’s way to Quinnipiac.

Sophomore Colleen O’Reilly is a founding sister of Gamma Phi Beta but originally went through the regular formal recruitment.

“I did the regular formal recruitment and I liked all of the sororities that were already on campus, but nothing really stood out to me,” O’Reilly said.

However, O’Reilly said that she felt an immediate connection to Gamma Phi Beta when it was introduced on campus.

“Gamma Phi [Beta]’s thing is [its philanthropy] Building Strong Girls. So when our advisers, Rachel and Caitlin, came to get it started on campus they were so perky and happy and that got me excited to join.”

Gamma Phi Beta consultant Caitlin Drummy explained the process of opening a chapter on a new campus.

“Opening a chapter on a new campus is an extensive process. The decision to expand Gamma Phi Beta onto a new campus is determined by many different factors, primarily based on protocol followed by all 26 members of the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC),” Drummy said.

According to Drummy, Quinnipiac and the NPC announced that the campus was open for extension which was then followed by an application and presentation process.  

“Gamma Phi Beta was excited by the opportunity to open a new chapter at Quinnipiac this fall – Quinnipiac students truly exemplify Gamma Phi Beta’s values through their commitment to community involvement, leadership development and scholastic achievement,” Drummy said.

Gamma Phi Beta is the proud exclusive National Panhellenic Conference National Sponsor of Girls on the Run International, a nonprofit organization that inspires girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running, according to Drummy.

The mission of Gamma Phi Beta is to provide experiences and resources that build spiritual, mental and social resiliency in girls, according to their website. It does this through its philanthropic focus, Building Strong Girls.

O’Reilly is a cheerleading coach at home for the youth so this cause spoke to her personally.

“I’ve seen it all,” O’Reilly said. “I’ve watched the girls grow at home, I see them go to high school. And I think that having confidence as a girl is very important and it makes your life so much easier. It’s hard to go through high school and college without confidence. With Building Strong Girls it’s just important to build a strong girl.”

Sophomore Nefe Abamwa also went through Gamma Phi Beta recruitment this past September and said she couldn’t have made a better decision.

“I’ve always wanted to be in a sorority and I didn’t really feel a connection with any of the other ones on campus,” Abamwa said. “I liked Gamma Phi’s philanthropy a lot, which is Building Strong Girls, they just seemed more personable to me.”

Abamwa is proud to be a founding sister of Gamma Phi Beta.

“It’s an honor because you get to start a new organization and set the precedence for the future,” she said. “You get to be one of those people that girls will look up to because you took the chance to start something new.”

Abamwa is looking forward to Gamma Phi becoming immersed in the Greek life community at Quinnipiac.

“We’re just planning to get our name out there and have a positive image and attend other Greek life events and just have a good reputation all around,” Abamwa said.

Drummy encourages all to rush Gamma Phi Beta in the Fall of 2016 when they will take part in Panhellenic recruitment, providing the opportunity for even more outstanding potential new members to join a sorority.

“As one of the 10 oldest women’s organizations in North America and the first to be called a ‘sorority,’ Gamma Phi Beta has long provided women with the opportunity for sisterhood, support and personal development,” Drummy said. “Our chapter at Quinnipiac consists of confident women of character who celebrate sisterhood and are making a difference in the world around us. If you are looking for enduring friendships, inspiring sisters and a supportive environment where you can become the best version of yourself, Gamma Phi Beta is the sorority for you!”