Women’s hockey ties season finale

Senior Day was different from last year for the Quinnipiac University women’s hockey team. Last year, the Bobcats lost 5-0 to Mercyhurst College in their final season in the College Hockey America Conference.

This year the Bobcats pulled out a point in a heated 3-3 tie with the Brown University Bears in a Saturday afternoon contest at the Northford Ice Pavilion.

The Bobcats were coming off a tough 3-0 loss at the hands of the rival Yale Bulldogs. The Bobcats lost earlier in the season to the Bears 4-0 and were looking for revenge.

Quinnipiac and Brown played a spirited first period. The Bears almost scored 12 seconds into the game, but a great Connie Craig save prevented that from happening. The freshman goalie made some outstanding saves in the period, including a few point- blank chances.

The teams were going back and forth all throughout the first period. Brown had a 13-5 shots advantage at the end of the first.

Junior Vicky Graham was honored during the first intermission. Graham received an award for becoming the school’s all-time leading scorer in women’s ice hockey.

Both teams came out hard in the second period and there were plenty of chances early on for both. Craig made a sensational save on a Brown 2-on-1 midway through the second.

Each team had power plays in the period, but only one team was able to convert. Brown converted on its first power play of the game on a goal by senior Keaton Zucker at 5:35.

Trailing 1-0, the Bobcats came out flying in the third period. Freshman Antoinette Maldonado got things started early for the Bobcats, scoring at 1:37 to tie the game. The goal, her ninth, was assisted by Hayley McMeekin and Kristin Alcorn.

Brown then took the lead at 7:31 to make it 2-1 on Zucker’s second goal of the game.

Forty three seconds later, Quinnipiac senior Kathryn Dallimore tied the score at 2, her final goal as a Bobcat. Brown then struck again on a goal by Hayley Moore to regain a one-goal lead.

But freshman Antoinette Maldonado scored her second goal of the game with 5:37 remaining in the third to tie the game at 3. The goal sent the game to overtime, where Brown outshot the Bobcats, 2-1.

“We showed tremendous heart and character. It was the first time all year we scored three goals in one period, and we showed what we are capable of doing,” Quinnipiac head coach Michael Barrett said.

Quinnipiac finished the season 10-18-7 overall (.382 winning percentage) and 3-13-5 in the ECAC.

“We just completed our best winning percentage season in the program’s history. It’s pretty special to do when it’s the ECAC,” Barrett said.