Niagara comes from behind to beat women’s lacrosse

Niagara comes from behind to beat womens lacrosse

With 16:50 left in the first half, Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse all-time program points leader Kyra Ochwat netted her third goal of the afternoon to put the Bobcats up 3-1 over Niagara.

Quinnipiac proceeded to carry a 7-6 lead into halftime, looking like it might grab its second conference win of the season on Saturday afternoon at the QU Lacrosse Turf Field.

Niagara outscored the Bobcats 10-4 in the second half, however, going on to down Quinnipiac 16-11.

“We had some nice plays,” Quinnipiac head coach Danie Caro said. “I really think our [lack of] discipline, our [lack of] patience and our lack of poise really did us in during the second half.”

Ochwat led the way for Quinnipiac with her three early goals, giving her 150 career goals just two weeks after breaking the all-time points record.

Ochwat netted her first goal with 25:53 left in the first half, with the assist coming from Devin Kelly to make it 1-0.

Then, after a Niagara goal, Ochwat netted her second of the game in transition. She faked a high shot, then put one past Purple Eagles’ goalie Fransisco Andrea to make it 2-1 Bobcats.

Ochwat scored again nearly seven minutes later, spinning off a defender and putting in her 208th career point at Quinnipiac. The goal made it 3-1 Quinnipiac, and Ochwat became Quinnipiac lacrosse’s all-time leading scorer (men’s and women’s program history).

“I think, had we been able to play a little smarter and value our possessions a little more and have the discipline to put the ball in the net a little more… We would have had a chance to win,” Caro said.

Niagara went on to strike for five goals in the final 10 minutes of the half, though, and Quinnipiac only led by one goal at the halfway mark.

The second half was all Niagara, as the Purple Eagles outshot Quinnipiac 19-12 and went on to win their second conference game of the season.

“I think our defense did an admirable job,” Caro said. “We lost one of our starters to an injury on a really bad card early, but they responded and they did well. I think the final score was reflective of us trying to get the ball back at the end. But I thought our defense did a nice job, we just didn’t maintain our poise.”

Kelly Babstock chipped in with three goals and three assists in the loss, while Kathleen DeVito recorded three goals and one assist, as well.

Alexandra Hlesciak netted two goals for Quinnipiac, as well, which was good for her first multi-goal performance of the season.

“That’s what Alex is really good at,” Caro said. “She’s fast, and she’s good at an unsettled situation.”

With the loss, Quinnipiac falls to 2-12 overall on the season. The Bobcats play at home again on Saturday, as the host Siena at 3 p.m. for Senior Day.