Quinnipiac men’s soccer edges Yale

Maybe a new position was all Simon Hinde needed to break out.

In the Quinnipiac men’s soccer team’s final non-conference tilt of 2013, Hinde drilled the game-winning goal, leading Quinnipiac to a 1-0 victory over Whitney Avenue rival Yale at Reese Stadium in New Haven.

With the tally, Hinde brings his season total to five, most on the team.

“Fantastic, from both a leadership standpoint and quality of play,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Da Costa said on Hinde’s performance this season. “He worked his socks off for 90 minutes. In his position, you have to be the hardest working player on the field.”

Tonight wasn’t the first game-winner of the year for Hinde, however. On Sept. 14 vs. Holy Cross, Hinde registered the lone score, when Quinnipiac edged the Crusaders in a 1-0 nail-biter.

The forward’s 2013 performance has been a far cry from the year prior. As a junior in 2012, he recorded just a single goal and four assists.

In crediting his breakout, Hinde pointed towards a new position.

“I’ve been given more of an attacking role,” Hinde said. “Really happy to be banging goals away for the team. I hope it continues, just to make sure we can keep winning games.”

Quinnipiac lit the scoreboard for the only time in the sixth minute, when Hinde notched his fifth goal of the season. James Doig began the play with a corner kick from the near side, while Erik Panzer followed with a header to Hinde. Hinde then ripped the ball into the lower-left corner of the net, good for the 1-0 advantage.

The Bobcats limited Yale to nine total shots, keeping Yale at bay with a strong defensive effort. Goalkeeper Borja Angoitia recorded two saves in posting his third shutout of the year.

“When a team is chasing a game in college soccer, clock is counting down,” Da Costa said. “You send guys forward. You take risks. You hope that the other team makes a mistake. Staying focused and having a high level of concentration is important.”

Quinnipiac will open up Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play on Oct. 5, when it hosts Iona, also continuing league play for the remainder of the season.

“Very big win for our team,” Hinde said. “It’s been frustrating because we’ve been playing well. For it to come together tonight, at Yale, going into conference play is really good.”