Women’s lacrosse wins second straight nail biter

The Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse team got back to .500 on the season after a dramatic 12-11 victory over Vermont this afternoon.

This was the second-straight one goal game for the Bobcats who beat Iona in two overtimes, 13-12 on Wednesday, March 6.

With the game tied at 11, Maria Blois put the game-winner past Catamount goalie Charlotte Lyons to cap a comeback that erased a five goal advantage for Vermont (3-3).

“We are really proud of the team today,” Quinnipiac head coach Danie Caro said. “We fought back from two five-goal deficits (7-2 and 10-5), and didn’t stop working until the final whistle. Vermont played a strong game and really challenged us to be better in the second half.”

Blois’ game-winner was her third goal of the game and also her third goal of the season. Two other Bobcats, Lianne Tommey and Michaela Tinsley also recorded hat tricks on the day.

“We were very balanced on offense – we had three players with three goals (Tinsley, Toomey, and Blois) and three others that scored goals as well,” Caro said. “I think that makes us hard to defend.”

Sophomore Kyra Ochwat continues to expand on her standout freshman season and has 12 out of 43 goals for Quinnipiac in four games. She also has two assists on the season to give her a team high 14 points on the season.

Two Bobcats are tied for second in point with nine. Assist guru Sarah Allen has nine points off of two goals and seven assists while Tinsley has eight goals and one assist.

Quinnipiac returns to action on Tuesday when they travel to Fairfield. First faceoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.