Students are also to blame

The Quinnipiac e-mail network is a vast system of servers and other technology that most people will never comprehend the full magnitude of the vast network.

However, when the Condor e-mail server went down on November 7, many students over-reacted to the loss of the e-mail but in an unproductive way – through complaining.

The Condor server is where students with the last names that begin with G and end with M send, receive and check their e-mail.

When it went down last month, the great majority of the students complained about it but only four students complained to the help desk about the problem, three of which came in on Sunday.

Following receiving the notifications, the e-mail was back online within 2.5 hours – an amazing feat for a staff without any weekend staff due to budgeting. The fact that only four students out of 2,000 active students on the server notified the help desk indicates the students cannot blame the computer staff entirely for something that they did not know about, the students are also partially responsible.

Condor is the least reliable of the e-mail servers with a 99.5% uptime percentage meaning it is only down one-half of one percent of the time.

However, the problem did open the eyes of Matt Romeo, the assistant director of the systems technology and planning department, of the importance of being more pro-active and increasing ways to prevent and quickly fix any future problems, including a plan that would have the computer system call the cell phones of the computer professionals if similar problems happen in the future.

The computer technology department obviously is concerned about future problems and is working diligently to try to prevent any future disruptions with students’ accounts. However, the professionals cannot solve this problem alone, students must report problems immediately.