Editor’s office

When is the last time the 13th ranked team in the nation had a quarterback controversy? After the University of Texas was able to come back from a 20-17 deficit and defeat number 14 Kansas State, thanks to freshman Vince Young who replaced starter Chance Mock, the Longhorns are now in that position. Young came in and went 3 of 6 for 69 yards passing. He also had 17 carries for 80 yards and scored the eventual game winning touchdown. Now, Mock, who waited three years to be the starter while being the backup to now graduated Major Applewhite and Chris Simms, may be back on the bench…Speaking of Kansas State, Ell Roberson may not be 100% healed from his injury which kept him out of two games this season. Against the Longhorns he was 5 for 18 with 89 yards passing and two interceptions. He tallied 87 yards rushing along with two rushing touchdowns, but I thought quarterbacks were supposed to be able to throw first, pass second…Finally Eli Manning is playing like a Heisman Trophy contender and 1st round NFL draft pick. Against number 24 Florida, Manning was 17 of 29 for 262 passing yards in route to a 20-17 Ole Miss victory in the swamp. He hit six different receivers and led the team on four scoring drives. Maybe Manning is as good as people thought he would be…After humiliating Central Michigan, Houston, and Notre Dame at home in its first three games of the season, Michigan has shown there inability to win away from Ann Arbor. After losing at Oregon three weeks ago, the Wolverines went to Iowa last week and lost 30-27. Now being 0-2 on the road so far this season, Michigan now has to go to number 13 Minnesota this weekend. Can anyone say 0-3 on the road…The best all around team in college football is the Virginia Tech Hokies. They average 439.2 total yards of offense while scoring 44.4 points per game. This along with only surrendering 16.4 points per game translates to a 5-0 record. Their largest margin of victory is 43 points against interstate rival James Madison. The offense and defense are not the only reasons why the Hokies are a top the Big East. The special teams of Tech instill fear in every team they face. The ability of the team to block punts, field goals, and extra points generates better field position for the offense along with scoring points. A possible championship team in the making…