Campus gets chance to recognize international presence

Over the next week, Quinnipiac students will have the opportunity to participate in International Education Week, which is a government-sponsored initiative that encourages U.S. citizens to take an active role in engaging in a global environment.

Quinnipiac will be holding its own adaptation of International Education Week, sponsored by the Office of Multicultural and Global Education, from Monday, Nov. 12, through Friday, Nov. 16.

“International Education Week helps the student body and community to recognize the international presence at Quinnipiac,” said Nicole Kurker-Stewart, assistant director for international students and programs. “Many of our students are involved in international activities, and after students graduate, they will most likely be working with people from other cultures.”

Quinnipiac’s International Education Week will feature a number of events that will take place over the course of the week. The first event on Monday will be a theatrical performance by Collective Consciousness, a theater group within Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services (IRIS), which is a New Haven-based program that helps refugees and immigrants establish themselves in the U.S.

“The Collective Consciousness performance will be very unique,” Kurker-Stewart said. “Some of the actors within the groups are actually refugees telling their own stories, which will be an amazing experience for students.”

The “Granito” documentary film will be screened at the North Haven campus on Tuesday. The documentary is sponsored by the Albert Schweitzer Institute and the International Human Rights Law Society, and depicts the struggles in Guatemala’s past and students’ positive experiences studying abroad in the country. In addition, the Albert Schweitzer Institute will also hold a weeklong photography exhibit on Western Guatemala.

On Wednesday of International Education Week, Quinnipiac will hold an international dessert competition in which students can win up to $75 or other prizes. Students may enter by emailing [email protected]. There will also be a study abroad information table from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m in the Carl Hansen Student Center, as well as the “Hola Café” at 7 p.m. in the Athletic Center 215.

“The Hola Café started off as celebrating Spanish culture because many Spanish students were interested, but it’s open to all cultures,” Kurker-Stewart said. “The purpose is really to foster culture and promote the language. There will be a short comedy film about technology, along with a discussion and fun ice breakers.”

The final event will be Culture Night and International Trivia, which will take place on Thursday evening during International Education Week. Students will have the opportunity to host tables representing their cultural backgrounds, as well as offer food, photos or memoirs representing their country.

“I’m excited about setting up a table to represent my parents’ home country,” senior Josephine Liz said. “A lot of students only know the Dominican Republic for the Punta Cana resort area, so I can’t wait to teach students more. I plan on having a boom box at my table with Dominican music, and also having Dominican appetizers like empanadas.”

Culture Night will be sponsored by the International Student Association and the Global Partners program, which is a new initiative this fall. The Global Partners Program creates a “buddy system” that pairs international students with another Quinnipiac student, Kurker-Stewart said.

“The goal is to ease the transition of international students, while allowing the campus community to learn about life from a different perspective,” Kurker-Stewart said. “It’s a perfect fit to tie the program into International Education Week.”

List of Events, Locations and Times:
Monday – Friday: Photography Exhibit on Western Guatemala, Albert Schweitzer Institute
Monday, Nov. 12: Collective Conscious Theater – Buckman Theater, 8 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 13: The “Granito” Film – North Haven Campus, Room 225, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 14: Hola Café – AC 215, 7 p.m.
Study Abroad Info. Table – CHSC, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
International Dessert Competition: submit ethnic dessert
to win $75 and more, email
[email protected] for more info.
Thursday, Nov. 15: Culture Night and International Trivia – SC 225, 5 p.m. – 7  p.m.