Women’s rugby posts second home shutout

Last season, the Quinnipiac women’s rugby team picked up their first-ever home win with a 23-7 win over Marist College. Today, the team got their second win over Marist and second home win of the season with a 52-0 shutout.

Marist was coming off of a 103-0 win over Hofstra, the most points scored this season in the conference.

“Marist was seeded No. 2 today and we were seeded No. 1 so it was a big game for us,” Quinnipiac head coach Becky Carlson said. “We were concentrated more today on the forwards we had a lot of offloading today that led to a few big runs and we were able to capitalize.”

With the win, the Bobcats improve to 5-0 on the season and have now shutout three teams in the Tri-State Conference.

Quinnipiac came out of the gates strong putting up 40 unanswered points in the first half. Two of those tried came from Natalie Kosko who ran the ball over 30 yards and got into the endzone with a spin move on her second try to make it a 38-0 game before the conversion attempt.

In the second half, Raechel Stimson provided the first score 12 minutes into the half for her second try of the game. Senior captain Colleen Doherty had the other try when she faked the pitch to Nancy Dunn and instead juked into the endzone.

The Bobcats had possession for the majority of the second half in Marist’s zone but were only able to score two tries.

Fullback Krystin Orrico started 3-for-3 on conversions and finished the day hitting 6-of-8. She is now 21-of-37 thru the seasons first five games.

The Bobcats will look to improve to 6-0 next Sunday when they play Stony Brook at the Stony Brook Campus Recreational Field in Stony Brook N.Y.

Despite a spotless record, Carlson knows there are still several things her team can improve on.

“We had a lot of penalties and that is something we have been working on,” Carlson said…The middle of the season we play Westchester and Rutgers and those penalties are definitely going to hurt us.”

Dunn and Shannon Durkin also added tries in today’s victory.