Kappa Delta newest sorority to join Greek life

A new sorority, Kappa Delta, will colonize on campus this fall. Kappa Delta joins the list of new Greek organizations at Quinnipiac, including Alpha Delta Pi and Delta Tau Delta, added in the fall of 2009, and Pi Beta Phi, Pi Kappa Phi and Zeta Beta Tau, added in the last school year.

[media-credit name=”Katie O’Brien” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]The Greek organizations on campus are known for their emphasis on Greek community and togetherness.

“I think that Greek life is a great way to get involved and meet new people,” said Shelby King, Kappa Delta’s leadership development consultant. “It has shaped me to be a better version of myself.”

Kappa Delta is a national sorority with more than 230,000 members, which span 143 collegiate chapters and more than 500 alumnae, according to the sorority’s website.

“Kappa Delta is not a four-year commitment; it’s for a lifetime. It’s a lifelong sisterhood,” King said.

Kappa Delta works with the Girl Scouts of the USA, serving as mentors and hosting events and activities for members. The sorority also helps the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth University by donating money for hospital equipment and other medical necessities.

Prevent Child Abuse America, founded by Kappa Delta member Donna Stone, raises money to increase awareness and prevent child abuse in the United States..S. Kappa Delta also established the Orthopaedic Research Awards, which presents three $20,000 awards annually to researchers working on making key medical discoveries.

Kappa Delta has already begun recruiting on campus. The sorority has been in the Carl Hansen Student Center reaching out to sophomores, juniors and seniors interested in joining Greek life.

Recruitment for Quinnipiac’s new chapter of Kappa Delta, the Theta Alpha chapter, will continue through the first two weeks of September. Colonization weekend begins Sept. 14 and lasts through Sept. 16, which is Bid Day. Once the sorority has members and is officially established, Kappa Delta will sponsor several events on campus, not only for the semester, but for its time at the university.