Former Bobcat Hall signs with Toronto FC

Former Quinnipiac men’s soccer goalie Freddy Hall signed with Toronto Football Club of the MLS today. League policies of the deal were not disclosed.

“It’s a great opportunity,” Hall said. “Toronto is a great football club and they’re on the rise. They have a manager that is changing things around and bringing in the right players that add to the chemistry of the team. This club is a great step in my career and it’s a great chance for me to grow as a player.”

(Video courtesy of Torontofc.ca)

Toronto is currently tied for last place in the MLS with a 5-12-4 record. They have allowed the second most goals in the league this season with 38, in front of only the Montreal Impact, who have allowed 43.

“Freddy brings depth to our goalkeeping position and has many qualities that we like to see at this position,” Toronto FC Head Coach and Director of Soccer Operations Paul Mariner said. “He performed well during his trial period with our club and played well against Liverpool. We are pleased to sign him.”

Hall had been on trial with the club for three weeks and most notably helped give his club a 1-1 draw in a World Football Challenge match against Liverpool of the English Premier League on July 21st.

“It was a great moment to see one of our Alumni play in a nationally televised game against one of the world’s most historic football clubs,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Da Costa said. “Liverpool F.C. has a deeply rooted history and wonderful tradition. For Freddy to compete against them must have been a tremendous experience for him and something he will not soon forget.”

Hall, 27, was a three-time All-Northeast Conference honoree and earned First-Team honors in 2009 at Quinnipiac. In the same year, he was awarded the adidas National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) All-North Atlantic Regional Second Team for leading all of Division I with 121 saves and posting the third-best save percentage in the nation (.883).

Hall helped Da Costa and Quinnipiac get to its first ever NEC Championship game in 2009 by defeating St. Francis (N.Y.) 4-3 in penalty kicks. Hall stopped two of the Terriers penalty shots to bring the Bobcats program further than it had ever been.

He was a recent member of Northampton Town F.C. of the English Football League Two, and played for the Bermuda Hogges of the USL Premier Development. Hall earned four caps for Bermuda.

“Freddy is still a young professional and continues to prove himself,” Da Costa said. “I have always said he will go on to do great things and he is well on his way.”