Eight freshmen set to make an impact on men’s ice hockey in ongoing season

Although Dana English Hall may not top every freshman’s wish list for a place to live each year due to its smaller size rooms and older look, the new wave of the Quinnipiac University Ice Hockey team have used the dormitory to form a close bond of friends and players from all around North America.
The eight freshmen recruits, who joined the Division I squad this year all live together on the third floor east wing of Dana, and they immediately took advantage of this living situation.
“It was a great way for us to make friends early in the year and become close as teammates,” said freshman right winger John Kelly.
Knowing that these relationships could be necessary for team unity in the next four years, the players were able to gel together early on, despite their backgrounds and age differences.
“We watch out for each other on and off the ice,” said defenseman Joe Testa. “If there is a problem, we are always there to help out.”
The team members explained that out of all of them, there is no outcast, and it has become more of a family atmosphere since the year began. The same situation goes for the atmosphere on the ice as well, because each freshman this year has a very good chance at competing for crucial playing time and contributing to the team’s winning tradition.
Joe Testa is a 20-year-old defenseman from Wallingford, Pa. Testa was recruited along with John Kelly from the Soo Indians. The 6’4″ Testa adds a lot of size to the blue line. He is a two-way defenseman and has already seen some time on the power play and penalty kill.
“I hope to be consistent in the line-up, and be an all-around solid defenseman,” said Testa.
Mike Bordieri is an 18-year-old winger from Rocky Hill, Conn. The speedy forward was recruited from the New England Junior Coyotes, a team that also produced Bobcat standout Ryan Morton. Bordieri has a great head for the game and is smart with the puck on his stick
“I just want to play as much as possible and help out the team,” said Bordieri.
Joe Dumais is a 20-year-old forward hailing from Auburn, Maine. Dumais is a hard worker recruited from the Junior Monarchs. He has already impressed coaches with his tenacious style of play and was given the Travis Roy Award as the top scholastic hockey player in the State of Maine.
“I want to help the team as best I can and improve as the year goes on,” said Dumais.
Ty Deinema is a 21-year-old center from Minneapolis, Minn. Recruited from the Green Bay Gamblers, Deinema will be a great help on the penalty kill and has a great head for the game.
“It would be a great achievement if I played in every game, and I would love to eventually be an impact player and a leader out there,” said Deinema.
Daniel Rossi is a 19-year-old right winger originally from Surrey, British Columbia. A playmaking defenseman, Rossi was recruited from the South Surrey Eagles. Rossi is calm with the puck and likes physical play.
“I would love to make the All-Rookie Team and get at least 15 points,” said Rossi.
John Kelly is a 20-year-old from Winnetkia, Ill., also recruited from the Soo Indians with Testa. The right winger has a lot of size and could play a large role on the power play. He is aggressive on the ice and could be a great addition if he stays out of the penalty box.
“I hope to play in every game and be an impact player,” Kelly said.
Aaron Ludwig is a 19-year-old center hailing from Lapman, Saskatchewan. Recruited from the Nipawin Hawks, Ludwig is a good offensive playmaker. Aside from being a checker, Ludwig has had no trouble in the past putting up points.
“I would like to stay in the lineup and show strong defensive play and contribute to every game,” said Ludwig.
The final member of the freshman class is 21-year-old Jesse Van Nostrand. A defenseman from Woodinville, Wash., Van Nostrand was recruited alongside fellow freshman Rossi. Van Nostrand moves the puck well and adds a lot of speed on defense.
Van Nostrand said his personal goal for this season is to get as much playing time as possible.
With the immense talent of the upperclassmen, the added impact of the freshman class will make the Bobcats a force to reckon with in the MAAC conference. Look for Quinnipiac to vie for a repeat MAAC championship in 2003. The Bobcats have the ability and the drive to become the first repeat champions in conference history.