Week in review

On Sept. 13, the Bobcat volleyball team posted its second victory of the season against LaSalle at the Bucknell Invitational.
Quinnipiac won with scores of 30-28, 30-25, 30-18 to improve it’s record to 2-5 on the season.
Seniors Heather Wollyung, Heather Grutta, and Alyssa Schatzel led the way for the Bobcats with 27 combined kills.
The weekend of Sept. 14 and 15 was extremely successful for the Bobcat field hockey team.
Quinnipiac competed both days at home, notching victories against both St. Francis (Pa.) and the University of Maryland Baltimore County.
The Bobcats first took on the Red Flash of St. Francis, in their Northeast Conference opener, winning 5-0.
Freshmen Danielle Avenoso and Amy Cunniff led the way, each scoring twice in the contest.
Fellow freshman Kristen McCarthy tallied her first collegiate goal in the second half.
On Sept. 15, Avenoso struck again, scoring two goals in the Bobcats second shutout of the season on UMBC.
Senior co-captain Courtney Ryan tallied all assists in the 3-0 victory, also helping McCarthy score her second goal of the season.
Goalkeepers Erin McKay and Lacey Johnson combined efforts in the net on both days, stopping five total shots all weekend.
Avenoso, who hales from Pompton Lakes, New Jersey was also named the NEC Rookie of the Week after her successful weekend.
Also in their conference opener, the men’s soccer team fell 1-0 in a hard fought match against Long Island University also on Sept. 15.
Both teams controlled the field throughout regulation and the evenly matched play led to two ten minute overtime periods.
Conor Shilcock-Eliot made four saves in the net for the Bobcats, but eventually missed the game winning LIU penalty kick late in the second overtime.