Caroleo breaks goals record as Quinnipiac wins

After going into halftime with a 6-4 deficit, the Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse team seemed like they were on the wrong track against Mount St. Mary’s. This was the first game between the two teams since the Northeast Conference Championship game last season when the Bobcats beat The Mount 15-3.

The Bobcats began the second half with the same results as the first, as The Mount extended their lead to three on an Esther Rufolo goal 2:56 into the second half. But Quinnipiac was ready to answer.

Chelsea Guerrera began a 7-0 run for the Bobcats which was capped off by Marissa Caroleo’s third goal of the game, and helped Quinnipiac win 12-10.
[media-credit id=1457 align=”alignnone” width=”300″][/media-credit]
The goal was Caroleo’s 126th of her career which broke Marta Waldron’s 02’ previous all-time program record for goals. Assisting on the play was junior Sarah Allen who picked up her 100th career point with the dish to Caroleo.

“Marissa is such a tough player,” said Caro. “Mount played her really physical, but Marissa kept her composure and made the most of her opportunities. She made key plays for us in the second half. I can’t even express how happy I am that she now holds the goal scoring record, but honestly, if you know Marissa, you know that she’d trade every individual accolade she’s earned for a team victory.”

Caroleo finished with three goals and an assist in the game. She now has 34 points on the year off of 28 goals and six assists in just eight games. Caroleo came into the game leading the conference in goals per game at 3.57.

Caroleo as well as fellow senior Devon Gibney have a chance to break Quinnipiac’s all-time points record as well. Katie Latonick 10’ holds the record with 175 points. Caroleo is currently at 153 career points while Gibney trails Caroleo by one point in hunt of the record.

Allen, who came off of a six assist performance against Long Island University-Brooklyn, picked up five assists on the game which put her at 101 points for her career.

“Sarah played very well despite Mount’s attempt to face guard her,” Caro said. “She maintained her poise and didn’t let that defender get in her head.”

The Mount would answer with a 3-0 run of their own in a span of 10:32 but Quinnipiac (4-4, 3-0 NEC) crushed their chances late with an insurance goal from freshman Kyra Ochwat to increase the lead to 12-10 with 13 seconds left in the game.

Ochwat finished the game with a hat trick to give her 15 goals on the season. She alongside fellow freshman Vicki Kuhn continue to see regular playing time in the lineup.

“I am pleased with the continued development of some of our younger players,” said Caro. “We are getting quality minutes out of Kyra Ochwat and Vicki Kuhn, and they’ve showed a lot of poise in making the transition to the collegiate game so far.”

Mount St. Mary’s (3-8, 2-1 NEC) was led by Erin Seipp who had four goals, all of which came in the first half, she also added an assist in the game. Rufolo and Kaitlyn Larrimore added two goals each in the contest.

Quinnipiac will take on Monmouth on Sunday at 12 p.m. at the Quinnipiac Field Hockey and Lacrosse Turf Complex.