Men’s Basketball: Rutty paces Bobcats to win over Brown

In Quinnipiac’s 88-75 win over Brown, the Bobcats displayed something winning teams must have: resiliency.

The Bobcats, despite holding a commanding lead throughout most the game, had to fight off a late scoring run by the Brown Bears. The Bobcats extended their lead to 23 points with 14:32 left, a lead which evaporated with a 25-6 scoring run from the Bears.

With only a four-point lead, the Bobcats got a spark from sophomore guard James Johnson, whose 3-pointer with 7:48 left seemed to recapture the momentum for the Bobcats. Johnson’s three was part of a 7-0 scoring run from the Bobcats that ended Brown’s comeback bid.

The Bobcats were led by forward Justin Rutty, who had a team-high 25 points along with eight rebounds. Senior guard James Feldeine also contributed for the Bobcats with 19 points and 6 rebounds.

The Bobcats won in their usual fashion, with physical play in the paint. The Bobcats gathered 44 rebounds to Brown’s 31, which marked the 15th straight game that the Bobcats have outrebounded their opponent. The Bobcats outscored the Bears 58-16 in the paint.

The Bobcats also had the advantage on fast breaks, outscoring Brown 16-0. However, 11 3- pointers and good free throw shooting kept the Bears in the game. Unlike the Bears, the Bobcats shot poorly from the free throw line only going 5-13.

With the win, the Bobcats improve to 9-6, while the Bears fall to 6-11. This was the last out-of-conference game for the Bobcats this season.

The Bobcats will go on the road to take on Central Connecticut State University on Thursday. This will be the first of 14 straight conference games for the Bobcats to finish out the season.