Men’s Ice Hockey: Lampe’s hat trick leads Bobcats over Harvard

Though seniors Eric Lampe and Jean-Marc Beaudoin are classmates, they have rarely been linemates. The two were paired up for a few games last season before heading into this year’s campaign, and while Beaudoin admitted that the chemistry wasn’t exactly there, that all changed Friday night at the TD Bank Sports Center.

The Quinnipiac Bobcats men’s ice hockey team defeated Harvard 5-1, and Beaudoin and Lampe were involved in four of those goals, with the latter recording the second hat trick of his career. Beaudoin recorded a career-high three assists and the third linemate, Scott Zurevinski, added his fifth goal of the season in the rout.

“I thought all three of us played really well and we clicked as a line,” said Beaudoin, the team’s captain.

Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold lauded Lampe’s performance.

“I thought Lampe was one of our best players again tonight,” he said. “He continually keeps playing well.”

Lampe recorded a point in each of his team’s eight games. The hat trick gave him nine goals on the season and it was the fourth multiple-goal game of his career.

He got the Bobcats on the board first with a power play goal with 32 seconds remaining in the first period. Beaudoin kept the puck in the zone, skated toward the goal and passed to senior Brandon Wong. After Wong’s initial shot was saved, Lampe jabbed at the puck until it went in and before the net was knocked off.

Harvard tied the game less than two minutes into the second period, but the Lampe-Beaudoin-Zurevinski line produced a goal to give the Bobcats the lead, one they would not relinquish.

Lampe skated into Harvard’s zone and had his saved by goalie Kyle Richter. Harvard defenseman Alex Biega turned the puck over to Beaudoin. He then passed to Zurevinski who found the open net for his fifth goal of the season.

“We’re all pretty hard-working guys,” Lampe said. “It’s really simple to get used to those guys because you obviously know they’re working hard just like myself. I’m just doing the same thing they are.”

Quinnipiac goaltender Dan Clarke won his third straight game, saving 27 of Harvard’s 28 shots. His biggest moments came midway through the first period when the Bobcats were forced to kill a 5-on-3 power play. He was aided by two blocked shots by Beaudoin, but he also had to make some important saves himself.

“That was probably one of the big keys to the game,” Pecknold said. “That was a huge, huge kill early on.”

Clarke also stopped a penalty shot in the third period with the Bobcats leading 4-1.

Lampe scored his second goal in the second period when he threw the puck in front of the goal and it bounced off a defender’s skate and into the goal. His third goal was more conventional. He received a pass from Beaudoin in front of the goal and shot it home.

Freshman Jeremy Langlois capped the game with an empty-netter late in the third period for the first goal of his career.

The Bobcats have won seven of their first eight games, but Pecknold isn’t getting too far ahead of himself.

“I’m happy where we are, but certainly we can’t get complacent,” he said.