Volleyball: Bobcats fall to Robert Morris

he Quinnipiac volleyball team hosted the Robert Morris Colonials Monday afternoon at Burt Kahn Court, and were handed their fifth straight 3-0 loss.

This loss was unlike other Bobcat losses, as the score was unreflective of the effort and determination shown by the Bobcats. Each of the three sets was played tighter as the match went along, 25-11 in the first, 25-18 in the second and 25-20 in the third.

Kelby Carey provided a team high seven kills and two service aces, while senior Erin Overdevest also played well, contributing a season-high 14 digs.

“Our team dug well,” sophomore Alyssa Naylor said. “I’m proud of how we were able to get a lot of balls that the other team didn’t expect us to get.”

However, the Bobcats did not match up well with the height of Colonial players.

“Their blocking was excellent,” Naylor said. “Our small numbers made it difficult to match up with them at the net.”

Quinnipiac head coach Robin Sparks made a defensive adjustment midway through the first set, which began to pay off in the second and third sets.

“We were able to limit their middle offense, only 21 out of their 94 attacks were in the middle,” Sparks said.

Just 21 attacks in the middle reflected the quality serving that Sparks was looking for heading into the game.

“We had to serve tough, their middles were great last time,” Sparks said. “We played them and we wanted to limit them.”

Limiting their offense was not enough, however, as the Colonials put together point streaks that the Bobcats had difficulty matching.

“We talk as a team about never giving up more than three points in a row,”Sparks said. “However we were unable to accomplish that today.”

The Bobcats fall to 3-23 overall and 2-11 in the NEC on the year, while the Colonials improve to 11-18 overall and 8-4 in the NEC.

The Bobcats’ next game is Friday night, when they travel to Fairleigh Dickinson for their final road game of the season.