Bobcats come up short

It was a tale of two games for the Quinnipiac baseball team last Friday, as they were swept first in a shutout (2-0) and later in a slugfest (7-6). With the losses, the Bobcats fall to 9-19 on the season and 2-6 in the NEC.

The losses came a day after the Bobcats swept the first doubleheader against Wagner (13-13, 4-4 NEC). They won those games by scores of 4-3 and 7-5.

Wagner’s Watson breaks Bobcats bats

Mike Oskandy took the mound in the seven-inning first game for the Bobcats. He hurled six innings, allowing two runs and striking out four. Quinnipiac was unable to generate any offense, though, and Oskandy dropped to 1-5 on the season.

“Mike did a great job. He did what he needed to do,” said catcher Mike Marmo, who paced the team with three hits. “It’s unfortunate the offense couldn’t help out.”

Oskandy was out-pitched by Wagner starter Matt Watson, who held the Bobcats to three hits over six frames. He struck out one and gave up three walks, improving to 4-1 with the effort.

Joe Conforti started the offense for the Seahawks in the second inning, doubling down the right field line. Conforti was driven home by the next batter, as Joe Jamison dropped a flare into shallow center field. Jamison was caught stealing second during the next at-bat.

After a single by Brian Martutartus, outfielder Damian Csakai ripped a double to center field to bring the score to 2-0. Jared Gruccio grounded out to first to end the rally.

Both teams showcased strong pitching the rest of the game. Bobcats head coach Dan Gooley praised Oskandy, but gave credit to the Seahawks as well.

“Today I thought both clubs had pretty good pitching,” Gooley said. “That young kid [Watson] from Wagner shut us out.”

Seahawks steal victory from Bobcats

The teams were given a 25-minute break after the end of the first game. Quinnipiac sent Joe Duffy to the mound and Wagner countered with Mark Holmes.

The Seahawks went wild on the basepaths in the second game, stealing a total of five bases. Martutartus and Csakai led the team with two steals apiece, and Chris Drechsel contributed one.

“They were aggressive,” Marmo said about the steals. “They got us to make some mistakes.”

The Bobcats struck first in this game, getting to Holmes in the second. Gabe Guerino led off the inning with a solo blast to right center field. The round-tripper was Guerino’s second of the season.

The Seahawks came back with a run of their own in the top of the fourth. With one out and men on first and second, Jamison laced a single through the infield to bring the lead runner home. Duffy retired the next two batters, but the damage was done and the game was tied, 1-1.

After going neck-and-neck for six innings, Wagner broke the game open with a three-run seventh. Gruccio and Matt Logan singled to put runners at the corners. Seth Boyd sent them both home with one swing of the bat, as he slugged his second homer of the season down the right field line. The three-run bomb chased Duffy, who was relieved by Anthony Cinelli.

The Bobcats did not give up so easily, notching a three-run rally of their own in the bottom of the inning. Mickey Amanti had the big hit of the inning, scoring two runs with a double. Ryan Ullrich drove home Amanti to tie the game again, 5-5. Marmo explained the difference in their offense during the second game.

“When you get shut out [in the first game], you kinda wake up and say, ‘lets put the bat on the ball,'” Marmo said.

Wagner reclaimed the lead with two runs in the eighth, and the Bobcats found themselves staring at a 7-5 deficit in the bottom of the ninth. Ben Farina got to Wagner reliever Andrew Huebner with a one-out double, and quickly reached third on a wild pitch. Chris Migani sent him home with a single down the right-field line, and suddenly Wagner was clinging to a 7-6 lead.

Bryn Doyle walked to put two men on for Quinnipiac, and was replaced by pinch-runner John Simone. The Bobcat rally, though, was cut short on the next play. Wagner catcher Chris Drechsel could not handle a Huebner offering, and both runners were off with the passed ball. Drechsel fired the ball to second to cut down Simone, and the game ended, 7-6.

“It’s always a tough way to lose,” Gooley said about the final play of the game.