Cross country teams finish second at Stony Brook

Quinnipiac’s men’s and women’s cross country teams each finished second in the Stony Brook season opener Saturday afternoon.

The women’s team combined for 41 points, led by 2010 Northeast Conference Outstanding Performer Becca White. White finished with a time of 14:19, which landed her third place.

[quote]

Teammates Paige Pallotto, Jessica Soja and Jill Humphreys finished with times of 14:58, 15:09 and 15:21, respectively. Junior Julie Lanning closed out the top-five with a time of 15:22.

“I thought we had a great opener and saw a lot of solid performances,” Quinnipiac head coach Carolyn Martin said.

Stony Brook’s women’s team totaled 18 points to get the win, while CW Post finished last with 66 points.

Martin was also reached for “We certainly are ready to go strong at the next couple of meets. I think today’s race was a great way to prepare us for what should be a successful season.”

The men’s team combined for 50 points, as freshman Spencer Mannion led the Bobcats with a fourth-place finish in 19:33. Mannion was followed by junior Mike Levene and freshman Thomas Dextradeur, who finished with times 19:52 and 19:55, respectively. Jacob Cetera and Richard Stoliker rounded out the top-five.

“Although, there’s certainly some things we can improve on, the men have such a positive attitude that I’m really looking forward to seeing the season unfold,” Martin said.

Stony Brook won the meet with 18 points, and CW Post scored 85 points.

Both teams race again at Fordham Fiasco Saturday.