Barrett out as women’s hockey coach

On Thursday March 6, Quinnipiac AD Jack McDonald announced that women’s ice hockey head coach Michael Barrett will no longer serve as the team’s head coach. Barrett will return to a position in the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs as director of development at Quinnipiac University.

“I am grateful for the opportunity that was given to me to lead the women’s ice hockey program, and I am confident the program is currently set up for success in the very near future,” Barrett was quoted on quinnipiacbobcats.com. “I look forward to a new role at this great university, and I am excited about growing our development programs while having the opportunity to spend more time with my family.”

McDonald said the university will retain a national search firm to begin immediate recruitment of a new head coach to lead the women’s ice hockey program in its next phase of development.

DHR International has been hired to assist the university in the hunt for a new head coach.

As of press time neither assistant coaches Lisa Giovanelli and Matt Kelly have been dismissed and are expected to continue at their respective positions for the 2008-2009 seasons.

The Bobcats finished 2-16-4 in conference play, and 5-24-5 on the season. Highlight wins included a home victory over Northeastern, a sweep of Robert Morris and a road victory against Brown in conference play. This had been Barrett’s 6th season behind the bench.