Softball sweeps doubleheader

The Quinnipiac softball team defeated Saint Francis (Pa.) in a doubleheader on Sunday, 2-0 and 11-3, after dropping two to Robert Morris on Saturday.

After striking out 10 batters in the first game, and five batters in the second, pitcher Heather Schwartzburg broke her own record for season strikeouts. Schwartzburg set the record last year during her sophomore season. She now has 265 strikeouts for the 2011 season.

Schwartzburg secured the win in both games, pitching a complete game, three-hit shutout in the first game. In Game 2, she allowed two runs, one earned, and four hits in four innings, earning her 20th and 21st victories of the season.

Jordan Paolucci continued to provide the offense its power, going 3-for-4 in both games combined, including a three-run home run.

In the first game, the Bobcats (29-24, 13-7 NEC) scored their first run in the top of the second on Kim Brzezinski’s RBI single to third base, driving in Paolucci.

The Bobcats added their final run in the top of the sixth off of a sacrifice fly from Jacqueline Ristow.

In the second game, the Bobcats raced out to an early lead. Lauren Salgado and Alex Alba singled to get on base, and Paolucci drove them in on a three-run home run.

Quinnipiac scored three more runs in the top of the fourth. Joelle Jacobsen singled up the middle, driving in Kortney Kesses and advancing Brzezinski to third.

Brzezinski scored on a throwing error, and Kesses scored for the final run of the inning on Salgado’s single.

The Bobcats scored five more runs in the top of the fifth and cruised to the 11-3 victory. Emily O’Keefe came in for Schwartzburg to finish the game, allowing just one run in her inning of work.

The Bobcats will host Fairfield on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. at the Quinnipiac Softball Field.