Athlete’s Diary

The event from past Tuesday was the most powerful thing I have ever experienced. For many, family’s were torn apart along with some of the greatest symbol’s America has to offer. Hearing about all of the destruction that is taking place allows you to prioritize things as a country and as a person. Most all events were cancelled for the week and weekend throughout our nation, including Major league baseball, the NFL, and most all college sports. For Quinnipiac, the response from the athletic department was much like every other sport.
On the day of the accident, the field hockey team practiced, along with the majority of sports that were cancelled. We were told to go home and watch history in front of us. Practice resumed on Wednesday, but it was more of a place to go, then a useful practice. No one was mentally there. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday we continued on practicing, wearing red, white and blue to show respect to our country. The home game versus Rider University, scheduled for Sunday, September 16, 2001, was cancelled and moved to Tuesday September 18, 2001 at 3 p.m.
Though every team hates practicing for over a week straight, I feel as though it is only with respect to our nation that all activities are put on hold. As an athlete, I know that I would not be able to perform under these circumstances. It would be disrespectful and just too quick. I don’t think there is a need for any type of entertainment through sports right now. Most people are still trying to put pieces of their family back together.
As for the field hockey team, we have all been blessed with no direct relationship to anyone involved in the attack. The team will be wearing black wristbands at the games as a symbol to represent America and all that has happened.