Acrobatics and tumbling nearly swings upset in Maryland

The Quinnipiac acrobatics and tumbling team nearly pulled off an upset this weekend over No. 1 Maryland, losing 267.031-265.208.

The Bobcats excelled in the pyramid category recording a perfect score, and defeating the Terps, 27.45-26.45. Winning the team routine, 94.676-91.558, was most notable for the Bobcats. It marked the first tumbling victory over Maryland in Bobcats history.

The Terps edged the Bobcats in the Compulsory, stunt, basket toss and tumbling categories. The largest margin of victory for the Terps came in the tumbling category, winning 53.69-50.25.

“The team needs to step it up with tumbling if we want to continue to have success this season,” coach Powers said. “Overall though, I am very proud of what this team was able to accomplish this weekend. I think we made some noise across the country and I look forward to us improving for our next meet.”

Maryland was voted number one in the pre-season coaches’ poll this season, five spots ahead of Quinnipiac’s number six ranking, making the near upset even more satisfying for head coach Marry Ann Powers.

“The way our team performed today, winning the team routine portion and scoring a perfect score during the pyramid section, truly impressed myself and the rest of the coaching staff.” Powers said.

The Bobcats did move forward on Sunday by defeating third-ranked Fairmont State, 264.304–263.379, in a dramatic come from behind win.

For the second straight day the Bobcats won the team event, this time winning 96.174-90.402. Fairmont State led the Bobcats by 4.847entering the team routine. Winning the category gave the Bobcats a .925 advantage on their way to victory.

“The team is really excited coming off a great weekend. Going toe-to-toe with the best team in the country (Maryland) and then having our team routine total take us over the top today was huge for us. We will continue to work off that and I expect us to have more difficulty on our opening value of our team routine to make our possible scoring chances even better,” Powers said.

The Bobcats will have a two-month layoff before they travel to California on Feb. 5 to take on Azusa Pacific and Baylo

On March 21 and 26, the Bobcats will host matches against Oregon ad Maryland.