Freshman decries drug charges

University officials will not comment following the suspension of freshman Ryan Conde on drug possession and distribution charges that, according to Conde, lack any physical evidence.

Conde told The Chronicle that prior to his suspension on April 16, the University never found him in possession of illegal or harmful drugs, and Quinnipiac security never searched his Ledges dorm room.

Associate Vice President for Public Relations John Morgan told The Chronicle in an e-mail that “student privacy laws prohibit the university from commenting on this matter.”

Conde was officially suspended on April 16, and faces suspension for the remainder of this semester and the fall semester.

Conde said he had never sold drugs on the Quinnipiac campus, so the University charges were a complete surprise.

“I was shocked,” he said. “Completely shocked.”

Four of Conde’s hallmates on the first floor of Ledges told The Chronicle on Sunday that they never saw Conde dealing drugs.

“He wasn’t a drug dealer,” freshman Matt Creegan said. “I never saw him deal marijuana.”

Conde’s roommate, Michael Strashun, described the suspension as “complete bullshit.”

Questions first arose on March 15, when Quinnipiac security entered a third floor Ledges dorm room and discovered a vaporizer. Conde was in the room at the time, but allowed to leave after explaining himself. He said he was in the room visiting a friend.

The student in possession of the vaporizer, along with marijuana and $300 in cash found after further investigation, declined comment.

On April 1, Conde received an e-mail summoning him to an April 6 conduct meeting for his “alleged involvement in the incident,” the e-mail read.

Conde described the situation as “ridiculous.”

“I wish there was police involved, because this wouldn’t have been able to stick,” he said. “In a legal case, there’s no evidence.”