Junior campaign brings concert to New Haven [Video]

Many passers-by of the back entrance of Hill 41B may have been confused by the sign that previously hung outside their door: “BRING THE STOOL TO NEW HAVEN.”

“The stool” is short for Stoolapalooza, a college tour sponsored by well-known sports blog Barstool Sports.

Juniors Jack Lamson and Matt Durrigan led the charge for getting the tour to stop at New Haven instead of Hartford.

“Barstool Sports already sponsors parties at local Boston bars, but they recently teamed up with Sam Adams, a Boston-based rapper, who kids will know as the YouTube sensation who sings ‘I Hate College,’” Lamson said.

Adams’ album “Boston’s Boy” debuted at No. 1 on iTunes for hip-hop.

Barstool Sports is described as “by the common man, for the common man.”

“It’s a blog that has no rules, no bounds, and absolutely no moral compass whatsoever,” Lamson said.

Barstool Sports, written by Dave “El Pres” Portnoy and his small staff of writers, has two separate pages for Boston and New York.  Followers of Barstool are known as “stoolies.”

“It’s pretty much this guy’s opinion on what happens in sports and the world,” Durrigan said.

Stoolapalooza will be going to six locations in the New England area, including the University of Rhode Island, University of New Hampshire, and University of Massachusetts Amherst.

“UConn is in a holy war with Quinnipiac for one of the final spots,” Portnoy said in his blog.

Portnoy set up a bracket to compare schools, giving Quinnipiac the No. 12 seed and UConn the No. 5 seed.

“The end of the blog pretty much said ‘Show me what you got,’” Lamson said, which spurred Durrigan to start a Facebook group entitled “Bring Barstoolpalooza to New Haven.”

“Our Facebook group within maybe 10 hours went from zero to 300 members,” Durrigan said.  “And that’s mostly Quinnipiac students and some from the New Haven area.”

The group has received a strong following, with 536 members as of Tuesday, encouraging fans to spread the word and buy tickets for the show.

“I’m an avid reader of Barstool Sports and I think El Pres is hilarious,” junior Alex Leach said.  “He knows how to have a good time.  I wouldn’t want to miss a chance of partying with him and getting to see an awesome upcoming rapper.  Not to mention it’s all cheaper than The Fray concert.”

Stoolapalooza was coincidentally scheduled for April 18–the same night as The Fray.

“It just happened to be on the same weekend,” Lamson said.  “We don’t want to take away from The Fray at all but I know that all of us and a lot of our friends will be going to Stoolapalooza instead because we’d rather see that.”

Floor tickets for undergraduate students to see The Fray are $25, whereas Barstoolpalooza tickets are $12 plus $4.75 in additional fees.

“The show is all ages so anyone can get in,” Durrigan said.  “It’s going to be a great night of entertainment.  It’s not just one band, you get to see at least four different acts, all local stuff, and one of the rising stars of the hip-hop industry right now in Sam Adams.”

Portnoy was “very moved by the commitment” from Quinnipiac, but his biggest reason for not going to Hartford was whether UConn students would make the trip to Hartford.

“The question is will UConn students travel to Hartford for this Barstoolpalooza?” Portnoy said in his blog.  “Or is this too far for them.  Because I’m pretty sure Quinnipiac students will riot to get this, but I originally said we’re going to UConn so the question is if I build it in Hartford will they come?”

Portnoy was drawn to New Haven even more because of The Fray concert.

“He found out The Fray was coming here at the same time,” Lamson said.  “We found out later that that actually made him want to come here more because he wanted to see how they would compete with The Fray.”