OPINION: Which is more corrupt: power or powerlessness?

A person of power is someone who is in a position where they are able to influence others.

Those who are powerless are in a difficult situation and are typically unable to be influential.

The powerless can be easily corrupted by those of power; more often than not those with unethical intentions.

The powerless can be corrupted by their struggles, particularly if they are poor or barely have food or water sufficient enough to feed their families.

Perhaps they need medicine for sick family members. In most countries, medicine that can be very hard to attain.

Those in power can take advantage and offer a quick and easy solution that will often aid those who are powerless in more inviting ways than they could imagine, but at the cost of being corrupted to do something unethical and often criminal.

Unethical intentions can include and are certainly not limited to, those who seek to thrive on those who are either in a physical or a mental state of weakness or depreciation and use this for their personal gain.

This is often the result of the people in power or influence being hungry for a greater sense of power and authority over more people in order to get their own agenda, their own ideologies or have other people share their values and beliefs so that they can be unified in this manipulated belief of the person in power.

Unity aids between those who are in power are unethical, and the easily-corruptible, powerless people. This can create solidarity in a supposed common cause with the promise of a better lifestyle for the powerless. It can thereby help attain the goal of greater influence to the individual in power.

Maybe you were thinking of homeless people, or people with extremely low wages. This isn’t entirely true.

Those who are powerless can be people who may not literally be in a position of struggle but instead be in a bad mental state.

The reason powerlessness can be corrupt is because at times of extreme difficulty, people can resort to crime as a quick and easy solution.

Statistics show that nearly 50 percent of people will get away with their crime if caught, due to lack of sufficient evidence, according to the website what-when-how.com.

People who are powerless do this because of material, for example money or psychological need.

Someone who starts off from a literal or metaphorical position of powerlessness and has a genuine determination to help or show compassion to others in difficult circumstances.

Someone of a metaphorical position of powerlessness can be an individual who is, for example, an upper class person with a wealthy background, who have been subjugated into a state of mental powerlessness through a poor upbringing or having been put down a lot in social circles by other people.

But, a person like this who rises to power through the voluntary support of the people will become a great leader and be a fine example for how those in power should behave.

Unfortunately, too often those in power will take advantage of the disadvantaged.

This happens when the powerless feel like life isn’t treating them well, or if they feel as if there isn’t enough being done to help them.

Those people who take advantage particularly are those already involved in crime such as with Pablo Escobar, a Colombian drug lord who thrived in his illegal business between the 1970’s-1990’s.  He was a natural public speaker and built up a good reputation amongst the powerless as he worked to create goodwill among the poor of Colombia.

He was also responsible in building many football/soccer fields and multi-sports courts, as well as sponsoring children’s football teams.

Thus, by his good service to the poor, he rallied many supporters, even though he led a murderous and drug-invested life.

Sometimes those who are powerless end up doing crime for themselves, perhaps they become a part of a bigger project which they have been manipulated to take part in.

This could be how Pablo Escobar managed to have an abundance of people work for him. Perhaps the power offers them a quick solution to their own issues.

Those in power can take advantage of a powerless person’s situation for their own personal reason; to gain control over them, which shows their ability to be corrupt due to their greed.

All the terrorist groups do this currently. The ones that appear on the news most frequently are Muslim.

The leaders of these groups take advantage of the struggling powerless individuals and influence them to join.

Is this obvious proof that the powerful are corrupt always? No.

Although those who are vulnerable and those who can be corrupted like this are typically raised in environments where their own life is challenging; ultimately these powerless individuals always had a choice whether or not to participate in these corrupted, unethical ways or not.

Hitler is a strong example of someone powerfully corrupt.

He took advantage of the disadvantaged by emphasizing the policies that they wanted, when in reality he wanted to get into power in order to practice his own horrific policies that were kept sealed within the Nazi party.

This situation is still relevant nowadays.

People in power can pick people up who have had very rough backgrounds and easily manipulate their minds into something corrupt. They may completely twist their moral conscience to make sure they have a nice, warm meal every night.

Therefore, the powerless can be equally corrupt because they have a choice and are vulnerable to ignore what’s moral and rational to make sure they’re comfortable in their lives.

On the other hand, those who are raised in an atmosphere of wealth and power will typically want to remain the same, even if that means getting more power to assure they’re comfortable in their wealth. They may do this by gaining the support of the people. But, their main focus will be to help secure or validate their own power and others who are also powerful.