Fiore tallies two hat tricks, women’s lax rolls

In the Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse team’s first six games of the season, Nicole Fiore had registered three hat tricks. On Sunday, Fiore did one better by registering a hat trick in both halves as Quinnipiac (4-3, 2-0 NEC) defeated the LIU Blackbirds 16-8.

In the first half, Fiore scored three goals as the Bobcats took an 8-3 advantage into halftime. After the break, Fiore wasted little time as she registered a hat trick in the first 3:25. The first goal came as Fiore weaved in and out of defenders on a breakaway and then beat Blackbird goalie Kimberly Campbell. Her next two goals came during an 18-second stretch in which the Bobcats scored three goals to take a 12-4 lead.

During this stretch, sophomore Tiffany Manzi netted the first goal with 26:35 remaining in the half. Nine seconds later, Fiore scored her fifth goal of the game and nine seconds after that Fiore once again found the back of the net to give her six goals for the day. Fiore stressed the importance of this stretch of the game.

“We didn’t want to be a first half team only,” Fiore said. “We wanted to come out strong in the second half and I think those three goals proved that.”

After taking the 12-4 lead, the Bobcats would use this advantage to coast through the rest of the second half to the 16-8 victory. With the win, Quinnipiac extended its home winning streak to five, which dates back to last season. Also, with the 9-6 win against CCSU Friday, the Bobcats swept their first two conference games and enjoy a seat atop of the Northeast Conference.

“We’re in a conference where we can’t take anyone lightly,” head coach Danie Caro said. “Anybody can beat anybody else on any given day. So we’re just fortunate that we have been able to get pumped and step up for the game and take care of business.”

Joining Fiore on the hat trick list was Manzi, while five other Bobcats found the back of the net Sunday. Quinnipiac also received a solid effort from goalie Hannah Nelson, who at times was protecting an impenetrable net.

After the game, Caro revealed that the secret behind Fiore’s scoring spree was some Yodels. Before the game, Caro and the coaching staff had thrown Fiore’s favorite dessert in the freezer and told her she had to earn them. Sunday, Fiore did just that and left only one question to be answered. Would she score more goals or eat more Yodels?

With the Yodels next to her, Fiore responded, “I don’t know, but the Yodels are looking pretty good.”