Kaminski’s scoring effort not enough for women’s basketball

The women’s basketball team has suffered a rash of injuries and bad luck this season, and things didn’t get any better on Saturday afternoon.

The Bobcats fell 86-57 to the Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers to lose their fifth straight conference game. The Bobcats are now 4-6 in the NEC after starting conference play 4-1.

Quinnipiac red-shirt junior Courtney Kaminski led all players with a career high 28 points and 11 rebounds. She scored 24 points in the first half on 8 of 17 shooting and went eight for eight from the free throw line.

“Courtney put her team in a good position in the first half, but we don’t have the scoring capabilities as a team right now,” head coach Tricia Fabbri said. “This is a challenging time for us and we have no room for error. We are going to remain upbeat and stay positive the rest of the way.”

Kaminski’s scoring kept her team close in the first half as the Bobcats went into halftime down only 40-33.

In the second half the Mountaineers got plenty of support from their bench and outscored the Bobcats 46-24. Mount St. Mary’s bench out-scored the wounded Bobcats 53-17 for the game.

The Mount was led by junior forward Mary Dunn, who scored a team high 19 points and was six for six from the field. Dunn’s classmate Lauren Howell and freshman Jamie Halloran also contributed on the offensive side, scoring 15 and 13 respectively. Senior guard Hassanah Oliver added a career high 12 assists.

Kaminski was the only player to reach double-digit points and rebounds for the Bobcats. Freshman guard Lisa Lebak added six points and a team high five assists, and sophomore Brittany Capozziello and junior Ashley Adams each added a career high five points.

The loss drops the Bobcats to eighth in the NEC and puts them on the bubble in terms of NEC playoff hopes. The top eight teams advance to the tournament.The women’s basketball team has suffered a rash of injuries and bad luck this season, and things didn’t get any better on Saturday afternoon.

The loss drops the Bobcats to eighth in the NEC and puts them on the bubble in terms of NEC playoff hopes. The top eight teams advance to the tournament.