Put this setup to bed

I have shared a room with my older brother for as long as I can remember. Over the years, we have changed our room’s layout a number of times to accommodate our ever-changing childhood wants. Our beds have moved all around the room, even above the floor when we went through a bunk bed phase.

I have lived the best of both worlds when it comes to slumber. There have been times where I could jump on my bed and times where I oversaw the room from the top bunk.

Yet, after nearly two full years at Quinnipiac, I find myself drifting toward one preference. I no longer care how much more room for activities there is- I am sick of lofted beds.

The quads at Quinnipiac provide bunks with the desks beneath, allowing for a common space in the middle of the room. I experienced this from my first day at Quinnipiac as I lived in Ledges my freshman year. There, I lucked out with some vertical space that other residents didn’t have. I was able to stretch in the morning without punching the ceiling and could sit up if I wanted to do something on my laptop. Yet, there were still inconveniences with the elevated bunk.

I was sick last October with a cough that made my voice sound like Will Arnett’s Lego Batman. I was bedridden for a couple of days and was incapacitated. I was overmatched by a climb down my ladder, so I grabbed anything I thought I needed for the next 30 or so hours and made the one-time trek. Whether or not I would have been inclined to roll out of bed if I was on ground level is unknown, but I would have liked the option.

This epitomized the struggle of having to carry things you may not need up to an elevated bed. I continued to drag things up that I didn’t end up needing because I had to be prepared for anything.

When my friends and I scored housing in Village, I thought I might have seen my last collegiate ladder. However, when I moved into my triple prior to the fall semester, my roommates had claimed the solo lofted bed and the bottom bunk. I was stuck climbing to sleep for another year.

Not only am I back in a lofted bed, but I am also stuck with a lower ceiling. If, for whatever reason, I instinctively sit up when I awake, I’ll end up with a red mark on my forehead like the one Peyton Manning is left with every time he takes off his helmet. In other words, I have been sleeping in a risen coffin since August.

There are other general inconveniences that come with the top bunk. I need at six-foot charger that I tuck in between my mattress and bed frame to charge my phone while I sleep. Making a lofted bed is also difficult for anyone that isn’t Mr. Fantastic. I have it easier than most because I can stretch to the far corners to tuck in sheets, but it is still a tedious task. The bar that comes across the side also inhibits me from dangling my legs off my bed. I appreciate that Quinnipiac doesn’t want me to splatter on the floor, but the bar has become so annoying that I am willing to take my chances.

When I moved in my freshman year, I liked the bed and desk setup. However, after two years with a lofted bed, I am ready to put ladders to rest.