Bobcat Briefs

Women’s lax earns No. 3 seed at NEC’s
The Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse team has locked up the third seed in the four-team Northeast Conference tournament. The Bobcats (8-6, 6-2 in NEC) will play Sacred Heart on Friday, May 5 at 2 p.m. in West Long Branch, N.J. As the top seed, Monmouth will host the tournament.
Last Friday, Quinnipiac played its final NEC regular season game at Sacred Heart. Despite senior Melissa Jordan’s first multi-goal game of the season, the Bobcats lost 12-5. Jordan had tied the game at 5 with her second goal of the game 1:08 into the half, but the Pioneers scored seven unanswered goals.

********************
Gress named to CBF Honor Roll
Junior Randy Gress was named to the College Baseball Foundation National Honor Roll for the week of April 18. The second basemen batted .478 with 11 hits, seven runs, 10 RBI and four home runs during the previous week.
Gress is the second Quinnipiac player to be named to the CBF National Honor Roll this season. On March 28, junior Jeff Mainetti was named to the honor roll.
Field hockey drops Dita Cup finals
The Quinnipiac field hockey team was defeated Saturday by Hofstra, 2-0, in the championship game of the Dita Cup Challenge. The Bobcats had gone 2-0-2 on April 8 in second round action to advance to the title game.
Juniors Jaime Cassesse and Megan DeCesaris and freshman Brandy Longacre earned All-Tourney honors for Quinnipiac.

********************
Cyr named NEC Golfer of the week
Senior Craig Cyr was named NEC Men’s Golfer of the Week for the week of April 19. The 2006 NEC Golfer of the Year shot a career-best 69 in day two of the New England Championships, which was held April 14-15. Cyr fired a 143 (74-69) overall – the top NEC individual performance at the event.
This is the fourth time Cyr has been named NEC Player of the Week in his collegiate career. It’s the second time a Quinnipiac player has earned the honor during the spring season. Freshman Ian O’Connor was named NEC Player of the Week on March 29.
Cyr and the golf team return to action this weekend when they play in the URI Northeast Invitational.