QU orders Sigma Phi Epsilon to cease and desist

Sigma Phi Epsilon must halt all activities while the university investigates the fraternity, according to university officials.

“The university issued a cease and desist order to Sigma Phi Epsilon over the weekend while it investigates allegations regarding the fraternity’s process for new members,” Vice President for Public Affairs Lynn Bushnell said in a statement. “We have zero tolerance for any behavior which threatens the safety and security of any member of the university community.”

This is the third Greek life organization that has received a cease and desist order from the university in the past three years.

Alpha Chi Omega had to stop operations in November 2013 while the university investigated the sorority for “member behavior.” The chapter was allowed to resume operation in January 2014 after the investigation was completed. Meanwhile, the fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon was kicked off campus in December 2014 for hazing.  

The president of Sigma Phi Epsilon did not immediately return a request for comment in time for publication.  

Stay with The Chronicle for updates.

CORRECTION: The original article stated Alpha Chi Omega was allowed to resume operations in January 2013. They were actually allowed to resume operations January 2014. The article has been updated to reflect this.